Udit Batra, born on January 7, 1971 in New Delhi, India, joined the Executive Board of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany in April 2016. He is responsible for the Life Science business sector, which he has led as CEO since 2014. Prior to that, he was responsible for the Consumer Health business. In September 2017, Udit Batra also took over Executive Board responsibility for Information Technology. He also oversees the company’s Bioethics Advisory Panel.
Before joining Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany in 2011, Udit Batra was Head of Global Public Health and Market Access for Novartis Vaccines & Diagnostics. Prior to that, he served in a range of senior executive positions, including Global Head of Corporate Strategy at Novartis, Switzerland, as well as Country President for the Pharma business of Novartis, Australia. He also held several management positions at the global consultancy McKinsey & Company across the healthcare, consumer and non-profit sectors. Udit Batra started his career as a research engineer at the U.S. pharma company MSD.
Udit Batra holds a Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering from Princeton University and a Bachelor of Science in Chemical Engineering from the University of Delaware. He is married and has two children.
Responsibility for Group functions
- Information Technology
- Greater Boston Chamber of Commerce, Member of the Board
- Massachusetts High Technology Council, Chairman
- Massachusetts Biotechnology Council, Member of the Board
- University of Delaware, Department of Chemical Engineering, Member of the Advisory Council
- Princeton University, Department of Chemical Engineering, Member of the Advisory Council